St Bernard's Football Club played a prominent part in association football in Scotland. A senior Edinburgh club, based in the Stockbridge/Canonmills district, their greatest accomplishment was the winning of the Scottish Cup in 1895. Founded in 1878 they had many ups and downs until an unexpected demise in 1942.
Local man George Park, who has lived in the district all his life, has spent a lot of his time over the past 24 years in researching the history. This has borne fruit in his recent publication 'St Bernard's Football Club or when the well ran dry!' which is now available. The book contains 225 pages and is moderately priced at £ 5-99 ( £ 7-25 including UK postage and packing). All the proceeds are being donated to the childrens cancer charity CCLASP. For details of stockists please see this website. Further details can be obtained by contacting George either by telephone on 0131 557 0817 or by Email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As well as chronicling the Club's fortunes from year to year George has detailed every player and every 1st XI match in addition to providing line ups for most of them. In Scotland and Edinburgh in particular there must be many descendents of these players and of old supporters who will find the book of interest. Many photographs are included to augment the text.
In many ways the St Bernard's club was a city institution much in the same way as Hearts and Hibs. Supporters of today's clubs have the opportunity to find out a lot more about a club that vied along with theirs for the attention of the Edinburgh public.
The non supporter should also find some interest in the book as it conveys the changing scene in this northern part of the city.
A foreword to the book was written by Bob Crampsey, the doyen of football historians, shortly before his death earlier this year.
The top photograph above shows the team of 1935.
The middle one is of the 1906/07 team that was champions of the Scottish League Second Division.
The third photograph is the team of 1933.
The final photograph is the team of 1923/24 at New Logie Green before the Club moved back to the Royal Gymnasium.